300,000 kids risk death in East Africa: UNICEF
United Nations: The head of the UN children`s agency says more than 300,000 children in the Horn of Africa are severely malnourished "and in imminent risk of dying" because of drought and famine.
The UN says tens of thousands of people already have died in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Eritrea and that more than 12 million people in the region need food aid.
UNICEF executive director Anthony Lake told reporters Friday "the crisis in the Horn of Africa is a human disaster becoming a human catastrophe."
In Somalia alone, he said, 1.4 million children are affected, an estimated 390,000 are suffering from malnutrition, and nearly 140,000 in the south-central region are facing imminent death from "severe acute malnutrition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...