31 injured in Hong Kong ferry crash: Police
Hong Kong: Thirty-one people were injured in a collision between a passenger ferry and another vessel off Hong Kong island late Friday, police said, in the latest accident to hit the city`s frenetic waters.
"The ferry crashed with another ship. Right now the injured people have been transported to the dock," a police spokeswoman said, adding that 11 of the injured had been admitted to hospital.
The ferry, which was bound for the island of Cheung Chau, reached its destination but police were unable to provide details about the status of the other vessel, thought to be a barge.
Thirty-eight people were killed and scores injured when a ferry collided with a pleasure boat in October, Hong Kong`s worst maritime disaster in 40 years which raised questions about safety in one of the world`s busiest harbours.
Researchers say that while it remains one of the world`s safest ports, increased vessel traffic and risks associated with land reclamation works along the harbour front call for urgent government attention.
A government report into the October collision, which occurred near Lamma island, is due later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO