31 killed in ethnic violence in Nigeria
Lafia: At least 31 people have been killed in ethnic violence in Nigeria`s north central state of Nasarawa, local authorities said Friday.
Nasarawa Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura told reporters that 31 people were confirmed dead in the latest clash which dealt a blow to the peaceful co-existence between the people of the state, according to Xinhua.
More than 1,300 houses were burnt during last week`s hostilities between the Eggon and Alago ethnic tribes.
Violence flared up last Friday and continued Saturday, sweeping through the Obi local government area main town and Assakio in the Lafia East local government area.
Casualties remained unknown until the riot was finally quelled two days ago.
"From the briefings I had, these were the figures obtained," Governor Al-Makura announced.
He said the government would provide logistic support to victims of the crisis, who are now in refugee camps, to enable them to return to their homes as soon as possible.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan Thursday ordered the immediate deployment of troops to restore peace in the state.
The governor vowed to support the soldiers in their mission.
"We shall do everything possible to bring those behind the violence to book," Al-Makura said, adding that the government would adopt measures to bring the situation under control and prevent further violence.
The ethnic violence adds to the security challenges in Nasarawa state where fighting between rebel groups and government forces has been reported frequently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city