32 dead, over 18,000 displaced in Kenya floods
Nairobi: At least 32 people have died and 18,600 others displaced by flash floods caused by heavy rains in Kenya, the East African nation`s Red Cross Society (or KRCS) said on Wednesday.
The KRCS also said 14 people were injured and six others were missing.
"Several parts of the country especially the coast and Western Kenya regions have been affected by flooding, following an increased heavy downpour countrywide," Xinhua cited the agency as saying in a statement.
The government has advised people living in flood-prone areas to move to higher ground.
Widespread destruction of property and infrastructure has resulted in disruption of key activities such as farming and education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'