34 executions in Iraq this year: Ministry
Baghdad: Iraq has executed 34 people so far
this year compared with a total of 68 who were hanged last
year, justice ministry spokesman Haidar al-Saadi said on Thursday.
This year`s total includes two women and one foreigner, a
Syrian national, while last year`s figure includes three women
and three foreigners -- a Tunisian, an Egyptian and a
"In 2011, there were 68 people executed," Saadi said.
"All the executions were carried out by hanging, and 99
percent of those executed were sentenced for crimes related to
Saadi added that 34 people had been executed so far this
year, but denied allegations from the UN High Commissioner for
Human Rights Navi Pillay that they had all been killed on the
"They were executed in groups from the beginning of the
year," Saadi said.
On Tuesday, Pillay called for an immediate suspension of
the death penalty.
The United Nations estimates that more than 1,200 people
have been sentenced to death in Iraq since 2004, but it does
not have comprehensive statistics on executions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted