34 executions in Iraq this year: Ministry
Baghdad: Iraq has executed 34 people so far
this year compared with a total of 68 who were hanged last
year, justice ministry spokesman Haidar al-Saadi said on Thursday.
This year`s total includes two women and one foreigner, a
Syrian national, while last year`s figure includes three women
and three foreigners -- a Tunisian, an Egyptian and a
"In 2011, there were 68 people executed," Saadi said.
"All the executions were carried out by hanging, and 99
percent of those executed were sentenced for crimes related to
Saadi added that 34 people had been executed so far this
year, but denied allegations from the UN High Commissioner for
Human Rights Navi Pillay that they had all been killed on the
"They were executed in groups from the beginning of the
year," Saadi said.
On Tuesday, Pillay called for an immediate suspension of
the death penalty.
The United Nations estimates that more than 1,200 people
have been sentenced to death in Iraq since 2004, but it does
not have comprehensive statistics on executions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back