35 Tunisian migrants missing after boat capsizes
Rome: Up to 35 migrants sailing from Tunisia to Italy were missing after the boat they were travelling in capsized, Italian port authorities were quoted by ANSA news agency as saying.
The report, which said the boat capsized on Monday shortly after departing from the port of Zarzis in southern Tunisia, came as hundreds of mostly Tunisian migrants landed on the Italian island of Lampedusa.
ANSA said 12 boats carrying 816 migrants have arrived in the past few hours.
In Tunisia, neither the police not the army were able to confirm the incident, but one member of the emergency services in the Tunisian port of Zarzis said a navy vessel had been sent to the suspected accident zone.
One taxi driver in the town, who asked not to be named, said he had seen a heavily overloaded boat leave the port on Sunday afternoon.
It had left the port "with more than a hundred people on board when its normal capacity must be around 50," he told AFP early Tuesday.
The report also quoted five migrants on one of the boats as saying that they were rescued from the boat that capsized, which was carrying 40 people.
Thousands of Tunisians have arrived in Lampedusa in recent weeks, with many making the perilous Mediterranean crossing on rickety fishing boats.
French far-right leader Marine Le Pen visited Lampedusa on Monday and warned that Europe could no longer accept undocumented migrants from North Africa.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed