$35.5 mn embezzled by Russian ex-minister?
Moscow: A former deputy agriculture minister in Russia and two suspected accomplices have been detained over the alleged embezzlement of 1.1 billion ruble ($35.5 million) from a ministry-owned firm, the interior ministry said.
Alexei Bazhanov and two former agriculture company heads were held in Voronezh region in connection with a fraud they allegedly organised in 2008-2009, police said.
According to the investigation, Russia`s largest state-owned agro-industrial leasing company Rosagrolizing loaned the money to an agricultural company for leasing sunflower oil refining equipment but the funds were stolen instead.
Police said they will seek the formal arrest of the three on embezzlement charges.
Investigators began a major probe into corruption in the ministry last year, accusing the ministry`s Oleg Donskikh, who headed Rosagrolizing in the Central Federal District, of organising large-scale embezzlement between 2007 and 2009 with two accomplices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued