4 killed in religious riots in central Nigeria
Yola: A local official says at least four people have died in riots that erupted in central Nigeria after a Muslim was killed at an illegal checkpoint.
Local government chairman Isiaku Adamu said rioters burned houses and shops today in Ibi, about 230 kilometres from the Taraba state capital of Jalingo.
He said Christians had put up the checkpoint to stop Muslims from nearing their church during the Sunday service as a response to church attacks in other parts of the country.
Three weeks ago, an explosion injured worshippers at a Catholic church in the north central city of Kaduna.
A Taraba State government spokesman Emmanuel Bello said today that authorities have sent troops to the area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split