4 killed in religious riots in central Nigeria
Yola: A local official says at least four people have died in riots that erupted in central Nigeria after a Muslim was killed at an illegal checkpoint.
Local government chairman Isiaku Adamu said rioters burned houses and shops today in Ibi, about 230 kilometres from the Taraba state capital of Jalingo.
He said Christians had put up the checkpoint to stop Muslims from nearing their church during the Sunday service as a response to church attacks in other parts of the country.
Three weeks ago, an explosion injured worshippers at a Catholic church in the north central city of Kaduna.
A Taraba State government spokesman Emmanuel Bello said today that authorities have sent troops to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown