4 killed in religious riots in central Nigeria
Yola: A local official says at least four people have died in riots that erupted in central Nigeria after a Muslim was killed at an illegal checkpoint.
Local government chairman Isiaku Adamu said rioters burned houses and shops today in Ibi, about 230 kilometres from the Taraba state capital of Jalingo.
He said Christians had put up the checkpoint to stop Muslims from nearing their church during the Sunday service as a response to church attacks in other parts of the country.
Three weeks ago, an explosion injured worshippers at a Catholic church in the north central city of Kaduna.
A Taraba State government spokesman Emmanuel Bello said today that authorities have sent troops to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you