4 killed in religious riots in central Nigeria
Yola: A local official says at least four people have died in riots that erupted in central Nigeria after a Muslim was killed at an illegal checkpoint.
Local government chairman Isiaku Adamu said rioters burned houses and shops today in Ibi, about 230 kilometres from the Taraba state capital of Jalingo.
He said Christians had put up the checkpoint to stop Muslims from nearing their church during the Sunday service as a response to church attacks in other parts of the country.
Three weeks ago, an explosion injured worshippers at a Catholic church in the north central city of Kaduna.
A Taraba State government spokesman Emmanuel Bello said today that authorities have sent troops to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city