4 killed in religious riots in central Nigeria
Yola: A local official says at least four people have died in riots that erupted in central Nigeria after a Muslim was killed at an illegal checkpoint.
Local government chairman Isiaku Adamu said rioters burned houses and shops today in Ibi, about 230 kilometres from the Taraba state capital of Jalingo.
He said Christians had put up the checkpoint to stop Muslims from nearing their church during the Sunday service as a response to church attacks in other parts of the country.
Three weeks ago, an explosion injured worshippers at a Catholic church in the north central city of Kaduna.
A Taraba State government spokesman Emmanuel Bello said today that authorities have sent troops to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India