4 rebels, 1 soldier killed in Philippines clash
Manila: Four members of Muslim rebel group Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and a government soldier were killed, one soldier wounded and 15 civilians taken hostage in a skirmish in southern Philippines Monday.
Dickson Hermoso, spokesman for the Philippine Army`s 6th Infantry Division, said the BIFF militants first swooped down on an outpost of police volunteers at Rangaban village, Midsayap, a town in North Cotabato province, around 2.20 am local time.
He told Xinhua in a phone interview that troops from the army`s 40th Infantry Battalion responded shortly after the attack and caught up with the BIFF men at Tugal village, also in Midsayap town.
"Sensing that the government troops are superior in numbers, the BIFF attackers splintered into smaller groups and sporadic firefights ensued," Hermoso said, adding that the BIFF men withdrew towards the Mindanao river.
In the process, the spokesman said the BIFF men abducted 11 farmers and four teachers and used them as human shield against the pursuing troops.
Twelve of the civilians have been released as of Monday afternoon while sporadic firing continued, according to Hermoso.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video