40 arrested, 11 police injured, Spain street riots
Madrid: Officials say riots in a northern Spanish city of Burgos have left 11 police injured and led to the arrest of 40 people after protesters began attacking police vehicles, burning garbage containers and breaking windows.
Rioting began Friday night as residents of Burgos` Gamonal district objected to city hall plans to remodel a street into a tree-lined boulevard with an underground car park. Eight police were injured and 17 people arrested.
A government statement says disturbances erupted again yesterday, with locals demanding the release of those arrested the previous night, leading to three police being injured and 23 further arrests.
A statement today said police intervened to "guarantee law and order and citizens` safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you