40 arrested, 11 police injured, Spain street riots
Madrid: Officials say riots in a northern Spanish city of Burgos have left 11 police injured and led to the arrest of 40 people after protesters began attacking police vehicles, burning garbage containers and breaking windows.
Rioting began Friday night as residents of Burgos` Gamonal district objected to city hall plans to remodel a street into a tree-lined boulevard with an underground car park. Eight police were injured and 17 people arrested.
A government statement says disturbances erupted again yesterday, with locals demanding the release of those arrested the previous night, leading to three police being injured and 23 further arrests.
A statement today said police intervened to "guarantee law and order and citizens` safety."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani