40 arrested, 11 police injured, Spain street riots
Madrid: Officials say riots in a northern Spanish city of Burgos have left 11 police injured and led to the arrest of 40 people after protesters began attacking police vehicles, burning garbage containers and breaking windows.
Rioting began Friday night as residents of Burgos` Gamonal district objected to city hall plans to remodel a street into a tree-lined boulevard with an underground car park. Eight police were injured and 17 people arrested.
A government statement says disturbances erupted again yesterday, with locals demanding the release of those arrested the previous night, leading to three police being injured and 23 further arrests.
A statement today said police intervened to "guarantee law and order and citizens` safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II