40 arrested, 11 police injured, Spain street riots
Madrid: Officials say riots in a northern Spanish city of Burgos have left 11 police injured and led to the arrest of 40 people after protesters began attacking police vehicles, burning garbage containers and breaking windows.
Rioting began Friday night as residents of Burgos` Gamonal district objected to city hall plans to remodel a street into a tree-lined boulevard with an underground car park. Eight police were injured and 17 people arrested.
A government statement says disturbances erupted again yesterday, with locals demanding the release of those arrested the previous night, leading to three police being injured and 23 further arrests.
A statement today said police intervened to "guarantee law and order and citizens` safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city