40 arrested, 11 police injured, Spain street riots
Madrid: Officials say riots in a northern Spanish city of Burgos have left 11 police injured and led to the arrest of 40 people after protesters began attacking police vehicles, burning garbage containers and breaking windows.
Rioting began Friday night as residents of Burgos` Gamonal district objected to city hall plans to remodel a street into a tree-lined boulevard with an underground car park. Eight police were injured and 17 people arrested.
A government statement says disturbances erupted again yesterday, with locals demanding the release of those arrested the previous night, leading to three police being injured and 23 further arrests.
A statement today said police intervened to "guarantee law and order and citizens` safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka