40 Chinese officials punished for covering up tunnel blast
Beijing: A total of 40 Chinese officials have received judicial or disciplinary punishment for their role in covering up a fatal tunnel explosion that left killed eight people dead in a north Chinese province in December.
The tunnel explosion, occurred in Shanxi Province, was revealed to the public after 5 days of its occurrence only when a whistleblower wrote an online post uncovering the news.
Six people were involved in covering up the accident, said Liu Dezheng, a spokesman for the provincial work safety commission.
Among those who have received punishment included 14 people employed by Erchu Co Ltd under the China Railway Tunnel Group, which contracted the tunnel project, Liu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown