40 Chinese officials punished for covering up tunnel blast
Beijing: A total of 40 Chinese officials have received judicial or disciplinary punishment for their role in covering up a fatal tunnel explosion that left killed eight people dead in a north Chinese province in December.
The tunnel explosion, occurred in Shanxi Province, was revealed to the public after 5 days of its occurrence only when a whistleblower wrote an online post uncovering the news.
Six people were involved in covering up the accident, said Liu Dezheng, a spokesman for the provincial work safety commission.
Among those who have received punishment included 14 people employed by Erchu Co Ltd under the China Railway Tunnel Group, which contracted the tunnel project, Liu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror