40 dead in China storms
Beijing: The toll due to hailstorms and torrential rains in a mountainous county in northwest China has risen to 40, officials said on late Saturday.
At least 18 people were still missing while 30,000 residents have been evacuated after storms hit Minxian county in Gansu province three days ago, Xinhua reported.
Around 360,000 people have been affected, and 87 hospitalised.
Roads were blocked, houses collapsed, farmland destroyed, power supply and telecommunications service disrupted due to the extreme weather, officials said.
Tents, beds and relief supplies have been sent to the disaster-stricken area.
Minxian is a mountainous county with a population of 450,000. It is located 150 km from Zhouqu, where a rain-triggered mudslide killed 1,500 people in August 2010.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan