40 patients escape Kenya`s psychiatric hospital
Nairobi: Kenya police say they are searching for 40 mentally ill patients who escaped from the country`s only public psychiatric facility.
Samuel Anampiu, the police chief in charge of the area where Mathari Mental Hospital sits, said today that about 70 male patients overpowered the guards at the hospital and that about 40 managed to escape.
Anampiu says the escapees had earlier complained that the drugs they were being given are ineffective.
Mental health care in Kenya suffers from a lack of funding. Poverty, a lack of access and the stigma associated with mental disorders prevent many patients from getting good assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video