40 patients escape Kenya`s psychiatric hospital
Nairobi: Kenya police say they are searching for 40 mentally ill patients who escaped from the country`s only public psychiatric facility.
Samuel Anampiu, the police chief in charge of the area where Mathari Mental Hospital sits, said today that about 70 male patients overpowered the guards at the hospital and that about 40 managed to escape.
Anampiu says the escapees had earlier complained that the drugs they were being given are ineffective.
Mental health care in Kenya suffers from a lack of funding. Poverty, a lack of access and the stigma associated with mental disorders prevent many patients from getting good assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16