43 arrested in post-papal visit Cuba crackdown
Havana: At least 43 Cuban dissidents have
been arrested in areas near where Pope Benedict XVI visited
last week, dissidents said, as the United States urged their
"We have been able to confirm that 43 opposition members
have been detained -- 10 women and 33 men -- in a crackdown on
Monday in the Santiago de Cuba area. All remain under arrest,"
said Elizardo Sanchez, head of the outlawed but tolerated
Cuban Human Rights and National Reconciliation Commission.
The commission on Monday reported 25 detentions but its
figure on detentions near Santiago de Cuba -- Cuba`s
second-largest city -- has kept rising.
"Almost all of the detainees are members of the Patriotic
Union of Cuba," an opposition force led by former political
prisoner Jose Daniel Ferrer. He was arrested on Monday along
with his wife Belkis Cantillo, at their home in Palmarito de
Cauto, near Santiago.
Ferrer, who was among 75 dissidents arrested in a 2003
crackdown and released last year after a mediation effort by
the Roman Catholic church, had his telephone line cut as well,
according to activists.
Sanchez said the Cuban secret police on Monday launched a
"wave of repression" with the arrests, following up on dozens
of detentions of opponents just ahead of a landmark visit last
week of the pope.
The United States, which has tense relations with Cuba,
said it was "extremely concerned" about the latest detentions
and what it said were efforts to silence reporting by cutting
off activists` cellular and Internet services.
"We call upon the Cuban government to release all
peaceful civil society activists immediately," State
Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters in Washington.
"We particularly condemn that most of those arrests took
place during the pope`s visit and with the aim of preventing
those arrested from attending public masses that the pope
officiated," Toner said.
While in Cuba, the pontiff did not meet with opposition
members. But last Wednesday he wrapped up a visit to Cuba with
a call for respect of "basic freedoms," pursuing his
persistent prodding of the island`s communist authorities to
"May no one feel excluded from taking up this exciting
task because of limitations of his or her basic freedoms,"
Benedict said at a mass in Havana, as President Raul Castro
looked on. Cuba is the Americas` only one-party communist
Last week, dissident sources said Cuban authorities
rounded up at least 150 to thwart any demonstrations during a
landmark visit by the pontiff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'