43 killed in China road accident
Beijing: At least 43 people have been killed and six others injured when a lorry carrying flammable liquid collided with a bus on a highway in southern Chinese province of Hunan, media reports said today.
A van loaded with alcohol rear-ended a passenger bus on a section of the Hukun (Shanghai to Kunming) Expressway in Hunan Province yesterday, resulting in a big pile up of vehicles.
A total of five vehicles were destroyed in the accident.
At least 43 people have been killed and six others injured in the accident, local officials said.
Shi Shiping, a villager living near the scene, told state- run Xinhua news agency that he "heard a huge bang" when the accident happened.
"It was like the explosion of an atomic bomb. Four people escaped from the blaze with severe burns, their hair and clothes burnt. They could barely talk and were just moaning," Shi said, adding that local villagers were unable to get close to the site because of the fierce fire.
The injured have been rushed to the hospital for treatment.
A joint task force led by the State Administration of Work Safety, the Ministry of Public Security and the Ministry of Transport has arrived at the site.
The investigation team concluded that the van had been remodelled and the coach driver had not followed mandated stop-over policy that requires passenger coaches to rest after midnight, in their preliminary findings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming