45 rebels killed in Darfur clashes: Sudan Army
Khartoum: The Sudanese Army says at least 45 rebels have been killed in Sudan`s North Darfur after they attacked the military.
Army spokesman Sawarme Khalid Saad`s remarks, carried on state radio today, said a number of troops were also killed in the clashes. He did not say how many.
Saad says the clashes began when rebels from the Justice and Equality Movement attacked Fataha, a village in North Darfur. He says the rebels first looted the market and killed an unspecified number of villagers.
The Darfur-based JEM rebel group wants to topple Sudan`s government. The rebels took advantage of fighting last month between Sudan and South Sudan to fight the Khartoum regime.
The UN estimates 300,000 people have died and 2.7 million have been displaced in years of fighting in Darfur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened