4,600 criminals let off in Britain: Indian-origin MP
London: An astounding 4,600 serial criminals in Britain last year got away with just police cautions or warnings, prompting Indian-origin MP Priti Patel to call on law authorities to end the "nonsense".
According to statistics from the justice ministry, one-third of all offenders in Britain now have at least 15 previous convictions, but more of them get lenient punishments, The Sun reported.
One-third of all those who were fined - a total of 16,400 - were also hardcore offenders, compared to just one in six in 2002, the data showed.
Tory MP Patel called on Justice Secretary Chris Grayling, and said the "disturbing figures demonstrate soft justice doesn`t work".
"Offenders who commit crimes again and again get away with a slap on the wrist," she was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof