48 reindeer killed by train in Sweden
Stockholm: Forty-eight reindeer have been killed in northern Sweden, struck by a speeding train they tried in vain to outrun, transport officials said on Tuesday.
"It wasn`t pretty to see," one reindeer rancher, Ingmar Blind, told state television network SVT.
The animals, which provide a livelihood for many in remote northern Sweden, met their fate on Saturday near the village of Kaitum in the country`s Laponia region.
Near-misses by railways are common as herds migrate during winter in search of food.
But in this case it appeared the herd had wandered onto snow-covered tracks and were startled by the train, the regional transport official in charge of maintenance, Fredrik Rosendahl told.
The reindeer instinctively all ran along the tracks before the train, which crushed them.
"If you follow a reindeer in a car, for instance, it will tend to run in front of the car, it won`t go to one side," Rosendahl explained. "So just imagine what happens with a train that needs more than a kilometre to come to a stop."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi