48 reindeer killed by train in Sweden
Stockholm: Forty-eight reindeer have been killed in northern Sweden, struck by a speeding train they tried in vain to outrun, transport officials said on Tuesday.
"It wasn`t pretty to see," one reindeer rancher, Ingmar Blind, told state television network SVT.
The animals, which provide a livelihood for many in remote northern Sweden, met their fate on Saturday near the village of Kaitum in the country`s Laponia region.
Near-misses by railways are common as herds migrate during winter in search of food.
But in this case it appeared the herd had wandered onto snow-covered tracks and were startled by the train, the regional transport official in charge of maintenance, Fredrik Rosendahl told.
The reindeer instinctively all ran along the tracks before the train, which crushed them.
"If you follow a reindeer in a car, for instance, it will tend to run in front of the car, it won`t go to one side," Rosendahl explained. "So just imagine what happens with a train that needs more than a kilometre to come to a stop."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Actor evades media, refuses to say ‘sorry’ – Watch
- Amazing! Ahmedabad hotel made out of discarded containers set to woo customers