5 bodies found in burned-out SUV in Arizona desert
Washington: Five charred bodies have been found in a burned-out vehicle in the southern Arizona desert, prompting authorities to probe whether it was a "cartel hit" by Mexican drug mafia.
Border Patrol officers first spotted the white Ford Excursion sports utility vehicle yesterday off the side of Interstate 8 in western Pinal County, about 100 kilometres south of Phoenix, Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said.
When the agent turned around, the SUV "fled at high rates of speed," Babeu said.
Aided by daylight, authorities spotted "numerous tracks off the road" and followed them for some distance before coming across a smoldering vehicle.
"That`s when the Border Patrol agents went up to the vehicle with fire extinguishers and realized there were bodies inside, clearly deceased," Babeu was quoted as saying by CNN.
None of the five killed was in the SUV`s front seat. One was in the second row and the other four bodies were found "laying down flat in the cargo area," Babeu said.
A cause of death for the victims, who have not been identified, is not yet known.
The charred vehicle was the same make and model as the one spotted by the Border Patrol agent hours earlier.
Authorities are investigating whether the bodies found are linked to violence by Mexican drug cartels.
The incident took place in the Vekol Valley, a hotbed of drug-and human-smuggling activity, according to Babeu, who said his department conducted 350 high-speed chases in the area last year in an effort to curb such crime.
"It looks like it`s a cartel hit, where they exact revenge on people," the sheriff said, calling a drug link "very likely" while noting there`s been no definitive conclusion yet.
"It happens all the time in Mexico; our fear and concern is that this violence is spilling over deep into the heart of Arizona."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth