5 climbers killed on `deadly day` in Swiss Alps
Geneva: Five mountain climbers were
killed in three separate incidents in the Swiss Alps, plunging
up to hundreds of metres to their death, police said, dubbing
Fri day a "deadly day".
"Deadly day -- five people lost their lives in high
mountains on July 15, 2011," said police in a statement.
In the worst incident, three climbers who were
roped together died trying to climb the Meitin glacier.
One of the climbers apparently fell and dragged his
two companions with him, police in Valais said in a separate
The group slid down the glacier for several hundred
metres, smashing into the rocks, despite being equipped with
ice axes and crampons.
The three climbers have not yet been identified.
Elsewhere a German mountaineer died when he fell
near the peak of the Lagginhorn peak of 3,971 metres (13,000
feet) in the Swiss Alps canton of Valais.
"A group of seven German climbers set off to climb
Lagginhorn," police in Valais said in a statement, adding they
were not roped together.
"Around 100 metres from the summit, at an altitude
of 3,850 metres, one of them lost his balance and fell several
The climber, who has not yet been named, died on
In a third accident, another unidentified alpinst
fell about 20 metres to his death when his rope tied to rock
face gave way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened