5 more found guilty of attempt to murder Mandela
Johannesburg: Five more people of a white supremacist group were found guilty of conspiring to murder former president Nelson Mandela, bringing to 19 the total number of culprits convicted in the case, a court ruled.
The five -- Herman van Rooyen, Rudi Gouws, and brothers Johan, Kobus, and Wilhelm Pretorius -- belong to a white supremacist group known as the Boeremag which means "Boer Force" in Afrikaans.
Judge Eben Jordaan of the North Gauteng High Court Friday said the five were found guilty of attempting to murder Mandela, the first black president in the country, with a home-made bomb in October 2002. They were among 20 men facing charges ranging from murder to terrorism and high treason.
Boeremag`s leader Mike du Toit was found guilty of treason earlier.
Boeremag masterminded a series of bombings, which shook the Johannesburg township of Soweto in October 2002. The bombings were part of a coup plot which included an attempt to assassinate Mandela.
The culprits allegedly plotted to create chaos by trying to kill Mandela and cutting the power to large parts of the country. These actions would have served as a "trigger" to set in motion the coup plan designed to overthrow the government led by the African National Congress (ANC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire