5 survive plane crash off Venezuela; 1 killed
Caracas: A small plane has crashed into the sea off Venezuela`s coast, leaving one person dead and five survivors who were rescued and brought to shore.
The twin-engine Beechcraft BE-58 went down east of the coastal city of Cumana in the Gulf of Cariaco on Saturday, Interior Minister Nestor Reverol said.
Reverol said the pilot had declared an emergency due to the failure of both engines and put the plane down in the water.
After the crash, rescue workers and fishermen helped the survivors to shore, the Minister said on state television.
A 62-year-old woman died in the accident, the country`s civil aviation agency said in a statement.
The five survivors, including a boy and the pilot, were brought ashore in boats and treated at a hospital, said Gen. Francisco Paz Fleitas, president of the National Civil Aviation Institute.
The plane had been flying from Puerto Ordaz to Venezuela`s Margarita Island when it went down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble