50 die after boat capsizes in Uganda`s Lake Albert
Kampala: Ugandan police say more than 50
people have died after a boat they were traveling in capsized
on Lake Albert in Uganda.
Zura Ganyana, a police spokesman, says the boat was
carrying between 70 and 80 people, but only five survivors
have been found and 17 bodies recovered. She said Monday that
they did not expect to rescue any more survivor`s from the
accident late Saturday.
The boat capsized due to overloading, she said. A police
chief in the area, Romeo Ojara, said that the boat had a
capacity for only 40 people and two tons of fish.
Boat accidents are common on Uganda`s lakes. Last month
more than 10 people died in a boat accident on the Ugandan
side of Lake Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet