50 die after boat capsizes in Uganda`s Lake Albert
Kampala: Ugandan police say more than 50
people have died after a boat they were traveling in capsized
on Lake Albert in Uganda.
Zura Ganyana, a police spokesman, says the boat was
carrying between 70 and 80 people, but only five survivors
have been found and 17 bodies recovered. She said Monday that
they did not expect to rescue any more survivor`s from the
accident late Saturday.
The boat capsized due to overloading, she said. A police
chief in the area, Romeo Ojara, said that the boat had a
capacity for only 40 people and two tons of fish.
Boat accidents are common on Uganda`s lakes. Last month
more than 10 people died in a boat accident on the Ugandan
side of Lake Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- A Flying Jatt tweet review: First day first show
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan