50 die after boat capsizes in Uganda`s Lake Albert
Kampala: Ugandan police say more than 50
people have died after a boat they were traveling in capsized
on Lake Albert in Uganda.
Zura Ganyana, a police spokesman, says the boat was
carrying between 70 and 80 people, but only five survivors
have been found and 17 bodies recovered. She said Monday that
they did not expect to rescue any more survivor`s from the
accident late Saturday.
The boat capsized due to overloading, she said. A police
chief in the area, Romeo Ojara, said that the boat had a
capacity for only 40 people and two tons of fish.
Boat accidents are common on Uganda`s lakes. Last month
more than 10 people died in a boat accident on the Ugandan
side of Lake Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?