50 illegal migrants die in shipwreck in Mozambique
Maputo: Mozambican police say
50 illegal Somali migrants and a Tanzanian captain died after
a ship sank off the coast of northern Mozambique.
Police spokesman Pedro Cossa today said that the boat
full of illegal migrants was travelling to South Africa from
Somalia when it sank on Sunday.
Mozambican marines sent the 89 Somali and Ethiopian
survivors to a refugee camp which holds about 3,000 illegal
Cossa says he does not know the cause of the
shipwreck. South Africa, one of the continent`s biggest
economies, has become a popular destination for Africans
fleeing economic and political crisis in their homelands.
Hundreds of other migrants also die each year while attempting
to cross from the Horn of Africa to the Middle East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family