50 illegal migrants die in shipwreck in Mozambique
Maputo: Mozambican police say
50 illegal Somali migrants and a Tanzanian captain died after
a ship sank off the coast of northern Mozambique.
Police spokesman Pedro Cossa today said that the boat
full of illegal migrants was travelling to South Africa from
Somalia when it sank on Sunday.
Mozambican marines sent the 89 Somali and Ethiopian
survivors to a refugee camp which holds about 3,000 illegal
Cossa says he does not know the cause of the
shipwreck. South Africa, one of the continent`s biggest
economies, has become a popular destination for Africans
fleeing economic and political crisis in their homelands.
Hundreds of other migrants also die each year while attempting
to cross from the Horn of Africa to the Middle East.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!
- AgustaWestland deal: Congress says govt trying to vilify its leaders
- Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time, odd-even not a long-term remedy
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note