5.0-magnitude quake strikes China, 9 injured
Beijing: A 5.0-magnitude earthquake jolted southwest China`s Yunnan Province Wednesday, leaving nine persons injured.
The epicentre of the quake, that struck the Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture in the province at 9:45 am, was located in the border area between Eryuan and Yangbi counties, with a depth of 11 km.
Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Bureau had confirmed nine persons being injured, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
A 60-member rescue team dispatched by the public security and firefighting departments has rushed to the affected area.
Varying degrees of cracks have appeared in some houses, but electricity and communication have not been affected, said the work team dispatched by the earthquake bureau of the Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture.
The Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Bureau has dispatched 4,000 tents, 2,000 clothes and 1,000 quilts to the affected people while the provincial disaster relief and civil affairs authorities have dispatched a work team to the area.
"We really felt the shake, which lasted a long time. Residents rushed out of their houses for shelter," said Xu Yuhua, a villager in Liantie town.
Leading officials in Dali have also rushed to the affected area to guide rescue and relief work.
In March, a 5. 5-magnitude earthquake injured 30 people in Eryuan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!