50 people missing from Kenyan clashes
Nairobi: The Kenya Red Cross says that at least 52 people are dead and another 50 missing after hundreds of farmers attacked cattle herders in southeast Kenya yesterday.
Sadik Kakai, head of disaster operations for the Kenya Red Cross, says the missing may have drowned or were burned to ashes during the attack at Riketa village in Tana River district.
Farmers from the Pokomo tribe attacked semi-nomadic cattle herders of the Orma tribe. Officials say the attack was retaliation for the killing of two Pokomo farmers last week.
The conflict started with accusations that Orma graze their livestock in Pokomo farms. The area is about 690 kilometres from the capital.
Kakai says at least 700 people were displaced from their homes by the attack and urgently need aid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie