50 people missing from Kenyan clashes
Nairobi: The Kenya Red Cross says that at least 52 people are dead and another 50 missing after hundreds of farmers attacked cattle herders in southeast Kenya yesterday.
Sadik Kakai, head of disaster operations for the Kenya Red Cross, says the missing may have drowned or were burned to ashes during the attack at Riketa village in Tana River district.
Farmers from the Pokomo tribe attacked semi-nomadic cattle herders of the Orma tribe. Officials say the attack was retaliation for the killing of two Pokomo farmers last week.
The conflict started with accusations that Orma graze their livestock in Pokomo farms. The area is about 690 kilometres from the capital.
Kakai says at least 700 people were displaced from their homes by the attack and urgently need aid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees