5.3-earthquake hits off Ambon, Indonesia
Jakarta: A mild earthquake measuring 5.3 at Richter scale struck off Ambon city, Maluku province, Indonesia on Thursday, Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG) said.
According to the information released on the website of BMKG, the tremors took place at 12:31pm local time. The epicentre was located at 244 kilometres southeast of Ambon city, Maluku province, with a depth of 243 kilometres below sea level.
BMKG said the earthquake didn`t generate tsunami potential and no casualty has been reported.
Maluku sits on the "Pacific Ring of Fire" at the junctions of several tectonic plates, which makes it prone to seismic upheaval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?