5.3-earthquake hits off Ambon, Indonesia
Jakarta: A mild earthquake measuring 5.3 at Richter scale struck off Ambon city, Maluku province, Indonesia on Thursday, Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG) said.
According to the information released on the website of BMKG, the tremors took place at 12:31pm local time. The epicentre was located at 244 kilometres southeast of Ambon city, Maluku province, with a depth of 243 kilometres below sea level.
BMKG said the earthquake didn`t generate tsunami potential and no casualty has been reported.
Maluku sits on the "Pacific Ring of Fire" at the junctions of several tectonic plates, which makes it prone to seismic upheaval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...