55 people drowned, missing off Somalia: UN
Nairobi: As many as 55 Somalis and Ethiopians were drowned or missing after an overcrowded boat capsized off the coast of Somalia, the UN refugee agency said Thursday.
The overcrowded boat started facing difficulty almost immediately after leaving the port of Bosasso in northern Somalia Tuesday. It capsized just 15 minutes into its journey.
The UN refugee agency said it was greatly saddened by the incident -- the biggest loss of life in the Gulf of Aden since February 2011 when 57 Somali refugees and migrants from the Horn of Africa drowned while attempting to reach Yemen.
At least 23 bodies have been recovered, including those of 14 women, eight men and a boy said to be less than four years old, had been recovered till last report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today