55 people drowned, missing off Somalia: UN
Nairobi: As many as 55 Somalis and Ethiopians were drowned or missing after an overcrowded boat capsized off the coast of Somalia, the UN refugee agency said Thursday.
The overcrowded boat started facing difficulty almost immediately after leaving the port of Bosasso in northern Somalia Tuesday. It capsized just 15 minutes into its journey.
The UN refugee agency said it was greatly saddened by the incident -- the biggest loss of life in the Gulf of Aden since February 2011 when 57 Somali refugees and migrants from the Horn of Africa drowned while attempting to reach Yemen.
At least 23 bodies have been recovered, including those of 14 women, eight men and a boy said to be less than four years old, had been recovered till last report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal