568 Ukrainian troops killed in offensive against rebels
Kiev: A total of 568 Ukrainian troops have been killed during four months of fierce fighting between government forces and pro-Russian rebels in the east of the country, the military said today.
Another 2,120 servicemen have been wounded, security spokesman Andriy Lysenko said, as Kiev has battled to oust insurgent fighters in a conflict classed as a civil war by the Red Cross.
Six soldiers were killed during the past 24 hours, Lysenko said, as government forces closed in on the major insurgent cities of Donetsk and Lugansk.
A string of solid advances in recent weeks has put Kiev on the front foot, with the military`s top brass pledging to stamp out the insurgency -- which they say is instigated and armed by Moscow -- in the near future.
Overall the United Nations estimates that more than 1,300 people have been killed since fighting erupted in mid-April.
Over 285,000 local residents have been forced to flee their homes due to the violence, the UN says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali