5.7-magnitude quake strikes off Indonesia: USGS
Jakarta: A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia`s Sulawesi island on Tuesday morning, the United States Geological Survey said.
The quake hit at 0311 IST 135 kilometres north-west of Gorontalo city at a depth of 46 km.
The USGS` Prompt Assessment of Global Earthquakes for Response (PAGER) system estimated the risk of fatalities and economic damage as very low.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
A 6.1-magnitude quake that struck Aceh province in July killed at least 35 people and left thousands homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?