5.7-magnitude quake strikes off Indonesia: USGS
Jakarta: A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia`s Sulawesi island on Tuesday morning, the United States Geological Survey said.
The quake hit at 0311 IST 135 kilometres north-west of Gorontalo city at a depth of 46 km.
The USGS` Prompt Assessment of Global Earthquakes for Response (PAGER) system estimated the risk of fatalities and economic damage as very low.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
A 6.1-magnitude quake that struck Aceh province in July killed at least 35 people and left thousands homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?