5.7-magnitude quake strikes off Indonesia: USGS
Jakarta: A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia`s Sulawesi island on Tuesday morning, the United States Geological Survey said.
The quake hit at 0311 IST 135 kilometres north-west of Gorontalo city at a depth of 46 km.
The USGS` Prompt Assessment of Global Earthquakes for Response (PAGER) system estimated the risk of fatalities and economic damage as very low.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
A 6.1-magnitude quake that struck Aceh province in July killed at least 35 people and left thousands homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'