5.9-magnitude earthquake in Indonesia kills one
Jakarta: A strong quake measuring 5.9 on Richter scale struck Indonesia’s Aceh province at early dawn on Tuesday, killing one eight year old girl and injuring eight, reports said.
The quake that occurred at 5.22 am local time had a depth of 84 kilometers and its epicenter was located 15 kilometres southwest of the capital Banda Aceh, according to a news agency.
The residents in the capital town rushed out of their buildings in panic, fearing Tsunami.
The quake killed one eight-year old girl and injured eight others in Pidie district of Banda Aceh where the quake was strongly felt in the capital town Banda Aceh and the nearby areas, local reports said.
Aceh being situated on Sumatra Island’s western tip is prone to earthquakes.
In 2004, a massive quake of magnitude 9.1 struck off the west coast of Sumatra, triggering a tsunami that killed more than 2, 30, 000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof