6 suspected militants killed in Indonesia
Jakarta: Indonesian police have killed six suspected militants in a weekend onslaught against a group wanted for a series of armed robberies that authorities say were intended to finance terrorist acts, officials said today.
The clashes happened in North Sumatra`s Serdang Bedagai district. On Saturday, police killed four suspected members of the group and arrested two others. Then on Sunday,
one suspect was fatally shot and another killed by a grenade he apparently threw during a gun battle with police, said Maj.
Gen. Oegroseno, chief of North Sumatra police. Another suspect surrendered at a local police station, said Oegroseno, who, like many Indonesians, uses only one name. Police are still searching for at least five other suspects.
The group is believed behind robberies of banks and money changers that have netted more than USD 127,000 since April to buy weapons and finance acts of terror. The group is also accused of attacks on police stations that have killed three officers.
Indonesia, the world`s most populous Muslim nation, has been hit by a string of terrorist attacks blamed on the regional al-Qaida-linked group Jemaah Islamiyah since 2002
Bali bombings which killed 202, most of them foreign tourists.
Attacks on hotels, embassies and restaurants since then have killed another 60 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy