6-year-old US boy petitions White House to save NASA
Washington: A six-year-old boy who dreams of becoming an astronaut has filed an online petition to US President Barack Obama to increase funding for cash-strapped NASA`s space programme.
Connor Johnson from Denver has wanted to be an astronaut since the young age of three.
Ever since he learned that Congress was threatening his future prospects to be a scientist or astronaut with NASA by cutting the space agency`s funding, he decided to do something about it.
"My whole idea was writing off to the President and then I decided to give my whole piggy bank to NASA. I have about USD 10.41," Johnson said.
However, Johnson decided he needed to find a more effective way to reach NASA, NBC-affiliated `KUSA-TV` reported.
Johnson`s family helped him start the petition. Although he did have some guidance, Johnson constructed the petition ideas on his own, the report said.
"Increase NASA funding. So we can discover new worlds, protect us from danger and to make dreams come true. Increase the funding for NASA so that children can dream of exploring the universe. Science funding is the future of our country," reads Johnson`s petition on the US government website We the People.
"To get a response from the White House, I need 100,000 signatures," Johnson said.
As of this evening, Johnson has more than 12,070 signatures. He now needs 87,930 more signatures by December 29 to get an official response.
While it may be a big challenge to get to 100,000, Johnson thinks it is possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video