6-year-old US boy petitions White House to save NASA
Washington: A six-year-old boy who dreams of becoming an astronaut has filed an online petition to US President Barack Obama to increase funding for cash-strapped NASA`s space programme.
Connor Johnson from Denver has wanted to be an astronaut since the young age of three.
Ever since he learned that Congress was threatening his future prospects to be a scientist or astronaut with NASA by cutting the space agency`s funding, he decided to do something about it.
"My whole idea was writing off to the President and then I decided to give my whole piggy bank to NASA. I have about USD 10.41," Johnson said.
However, Johnson decided he needed to find a more effective way to reach NASA, NBC-affiliated `KUSA-TV` reported.
Johnson`s family helped him start the petition. Although he did have some guidance, Johnson constructed the petition ideas on his own, the report said.
"Increase NASA funding. So we can discover new worlds, protect us from danger and to make dreams come true. Increase the funding for NASA so that children can dream of exploring the universe. Science funding is the future of our country," reads Johnson`s petition on the US government website We the People.
"To get a response from the White House, I need 100,000 signatures," Johnson said.
As of this evening, Johnson has more than 12,070 signatures. He now needs 87,930 more signatures by December 29 to get an official response.
While it may be a big challenge to get to 100,000, Johnson thinks it is possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH