60% Americans don`t support Afghan war: Poll
Washington: Sixty per cent of Americans
surveyed in an ABC News/Washington Post poll out on Thursday believe
that the war in Afghanistan is not worth fighting.
The poll appears on the day that President Barack
Obama is expected to declare that his strategy in Afghanistan
and Pakistan is on track.
Dissatisfaction with the war has risen seven points
since July, according to ABC News.
On a cost-benefit basis, only 34 per cent of those
polled believe the war has been worth fighting, down nine
points and setting a new low.
"Negative views of the war for the first time are at
the level of those recorded for the war in Iraq, whose
unpopularity dragged (former US president) George W. Bush to
historic lows in approval across his second term," ABC News
Obama got mixed reviews for handling the war effort:
45 per cent of those surveyed approve of Obama`s work on
Afghanistan, while 46 per cent disapprove.
Fifty-four per cent of Americans also support Obama`s
pledge to start withdrawing US forces from Afghanistan in
mid-2011, up by 15 points since it was announced one year ago.
The telephone poll was conducted by Langer Research
Associates between December 9-12 among a random sample of
1,001 US adults. It has a 3.5-point error margin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA