60 hurt in Argentina piranha attack
Buenos Aires: Piranhas on a Christmas Day feeding frenzy injured some 60 people in the Argentine city of Rosario, officials said on Thursday.
Those injured in the attack on Wednesday by the ferocious fish included a girl who lost part of a finger, Health Undersecretary Gabriela Quintanilla told reporters.
Quintanilla said the attack occurred on Wednesday off the coast of Rosario, some 310 kilometers (200 miles) north of Buenos Aires.
A medical official, Gustavo Centurion, said the attack which began at mid-morning on Christmas Day was "very aggressive".
"There were some people that the fish literally had torn bits of flesh from," he said.
The region has been hit by a heat wave with temperatures soaring to some 38 degrees Celsius (more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit) prompting thousands to seek relief in the waters of the Parana River, which is packed with carnivorous fish.
Officials said the unusually warm weather also was apparently responsible for the fish congregating on the river`s surface before the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog