600 Russians, Europeans fighting with Syrian rebels: Putin
Saint-Petersburg: Some 600 Russians and Europeans are fighting alongside Syrian rebels against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday, warning the West against arming the opposition.
"At least 600 people originating from Russia and Europe are fighting on the side of the Syria opposition," Putin told the Saint Petersburg Economic Forum.
"So why deliver arms to illegal armed groups in Syria, if we do not have a clear understanding of who they are comprised of? Where would these arms end up?" he asked.
The European Union agreed end May to lift its embargo against arming Syrian rebels while Washington said last week it would send military aid to the opposition, without giving details on the kind of weapons it would provide.
Putin also warned against leaving a political void in Syria if Assad were to step down.
"Who will fill this void? Which terrorist organisations?" he asked, reiterating that it is the Syrian people who must decide Assad`s fate.
Moscow is a staunch supporter of Assad`s regime, and Putin has said that Russia would not rule out sending fresh arms to the Syrian regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!