61 UN personnel dead, 180 missing in the Haiti quake
United Nations: Sixty-one UN personnel are
confirmed dead in quake devastated Haiti and 180 are still
missing, the world body said on Thursday, as it suffered the single
biggest loss of its manpower ever.
"It seems likely that figure (death toll) will go up.
Something we don`t wish to face but it is the reality," Martin
Nesirky, UN spokesperson said.
The headquarters of the UN peacekeeping force in Hotel
Christopher had collapsed in the 7.0 quake that hit Haiti.
Not all the bodies have been recovered from the rubble of
the hotel, the spokesperson noted, adding search and rescue
operations were still continuing eight days after the natural
disaster hit the Caribbean nation.
The UN has suffered its single biggest lost in history in
the earthquake. The head of the UN mission in Haiti H?di
Annabi, and his deputy, Luiz Carlo da Costa were killed in the
In recent developments, Nesirky noted that a
"humanitarian corridor" has been established between Santo
Domingo in the Dominican Republic and Port-au-Prince in Haiti
for relief supplies to reach people in need.
Around 150 flights of aid are landing in the capital`s
airport and the first ship carrying supplies has also reached,
according to the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly