6.3-magnitude quake strikes off Indonesia: USGS
Jakarta: A 6.3-magnitude quake struck off eastern Indonesia on Monday, the US Geological Survey said, but no tsunami warning was issued.
The quake struck at a depth of 92 kilometres (57 miles), 189 kilometres west-northwest of Saumlaki in the Maluku chain of islands, said the USGS.
Sutiono, an official at Indonesia`s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency who goes by one name, told AFP: "The quake`s epicentre was in the sea but there`s no potential for a tsunami."
A receptionist at the Galaxy Hotel in Saumlaki, Enik Aryesam, said the tremor lasted around 10 seconds but caused no visible damage.
"It wasn`t very strong, so our guests didn`t panic," she said.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash