65 detained in Mexico riots
Mexico City: At least eight people were injured and 65 detained when police clashed with protesters in Mexico on the new president`s inauguration day, an official said.
Protesters clashed with police Saturday near the congress, where Enrique Pena Nieto was being sworn in as the Mexican president.
The crowd later tried to march towards the Zocalo square outside the National Palace, where the president was due to make his first address to the nation.
Upon their approach to the square, the protesters clashed by police, who barricaded the area. They threw bottles and stones at officers, who responded by using tear gas.
As a result, storefronts of numerous shops and windows in the nearby Hilton hotel were smashed, and other property was damaged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged