65 still missing in China landslide

At least 65 people still remain missing after a massive landslide buried the living quarters of a mining company in northwest China's Shaanxi Province, authorities said on Thursday.

PTI| Updated: Aug 13, 2015, 19:25 PM IST

Beijing: At least 65 people still remain missing after a massive landslide buried the living quarters of a mining company in northwest China's Shaanxi Province, authorities said on Thursday.

More than 15 dormitories and three houses owned by the Wuzhou mining company in Shanyang County were buried in the mountainous county of Shanyang just after midnight yesterday.

So far 10 people managed to escape by themselves and four were dug out by rescuers and taken to hospital. The four are stable.

More than 700 police, firefighters, mining rescuers and paramedics were at the site, carrying out rescue work.

The geological situation around the site of the tragedy remains unstable with the prospect of more landslides, officials said.

Nearby residents have been evacuated, state-run Xinhua news agency.

China, world's largest producer of coal, is grapples to find ways to improve standards in the mining sector, where regulations are often violated.

Accidents in Chinese coal mines killed about 930 people last year.