6.68 lakh officials punished for corruption in China
Beijing: A day after outgoing President Hu Jintao warned of collapse of China due to endemic corruption, the ruling Communist Party on Friday said 6.68 lakh officials were punished for graft in the last five years.
During the last five years, 6.606 million complaints of corruption were received of which investigations into 6.39 lakh cases have been completed, outlining the scale of corruption at various level, Vice Minister of Organisation Department of the Communist Party told reporters here today.
"We have in the last few years established an all round system of punishing and preventing corruption", he said.
Inaugurating the once-in-a-decade leadership party meet yesterday here, President Hu said China and the Communist Party would collapse if corruption is not curtailed.
"If we fail to handle this issue well, it could prove fatal to the Party, and even cause the collapse of the Party and the fall of the state," Hu said.
Meanwhile, outgoing Premier, Wen Jiabao who was maintaining low profile after revelations by New York Times recently that his family had accumulated USD 2.7 billion in the last 10 years he was in power told a group discussion of the Congress increasing people`s income, fighting corruption and enhancing the Party building are the focal tasks to be addressed in the next five years by the Party.
China must maintain a steady and relatively fast economic growth and push forward reform and economic restructuring in a bid to avoid instable, imbalanced, uncoordinated and unsustainable economic development, he said.
The political structural reform must be advanced simultaneously so as to improve democracy, safeguard social justice and fairness, protect the freedom and equal rights of the people and bring their initiative and creativity into full play.
"In the next five years or beyond, people are very much concerned about some issues that need our special attention," he said.
He said priority must be given to the anti-corruption combat because it is a matter of life or death to the Party and the country. To this end, institutional building should be strengthened to uproot graft and promote officials` integrity and clean government.
"We should make special efforts to consolidate and improve the Party`s leadership, enhance democracy, optimise the legal system and practice the rule of law," he said.
"China faces quite a lot of problems, especially the arduous task in reform and development. But I think the three aspects mentioned above are of great significance and pressing," Wen said.
Immediate tasks facing the incumbent government is to stabilise the Chinese economy and constitute reform plans on income distribution and compensation for expropriated rural collective lands, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared