6.7 quake in south Atlantic near S Sandwich Islands: USGS
Washington: A major 6.7-magnitude earthquake struck the southern Atlantic ocean early today east of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, a sparsely populated British territory, a US monitor said.
The quake struck at 3:55 am (1025 IST) in waters 685 kilometres east of Bristol Island, part of an chain inhabited mainly by scientists on a series of bases, the US Geological
The earthquake, about 2,800 kilometres east of the Falkland Islands, occurred at a depth of 10 kilometres according to USGS.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued an alert stating there was no threat of a destructive widespread tsunami, but warned "there is the small possibility of a local
or regional tsunami that could affect coasts" near the epicentre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter