67-year-old pensioner steers bus to safety!
London: A 67-year-old pensioner who did not drive for last 12 years found himself caught in a scene similar to James Bond films where he grabbed the wheel of a bus and steered it to safety after the driver passed out.
Alfred Throop was travelling on a bus in Northfields, Leicester, on Thursday when he realised that the bus had begun to swerve after the driver fell unconscious.
Realising what had happened, Throop grabbed the wheel and steered the bus to the side of the road where it collided with metal railings at a pedestrian crossing, The Telegraph reported.
Leicestershire Police confirmed a driver had been "taken ill at the wheel" and that Throop had gained control of the bus.
A police spokeswoman said: "Mr Throop`s brave actions prevented the bus from causing further damage and serious injury to members of the public."
"I got up to go to the front of the bus and that`s when I noticed the driver was not himself. He looked like he`d blacked out or had a fit.
"I kept asking him if he was alright. I grabbed the wheel and tried to steer it. I panicked as I couldn`t find the brake and I saw cars coming down the road and cars parked on the side of the road. We could easily have hit somebody."
Mr Throop, who has not driven for 12 years since his last car was stolen, said: "It was very scary. Like a scene out of a James Bond film is how it`s been described."
He said he was a bit shaken after the incident but had not suffered any injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days