67-year-old pensioner steers bus to safety!
London: A 67-year-old pensioner who did not drive for last 12 years found himself caught in a scene similar to James Bond films where he grabbed the wheel of a bus and steered it to safety after the driver passed out.
Alfred Throop was travelling on a bus in Northfields, Leicester, on Thursday when he realised that the bus had begun to swerve after the driver fell unconscious.
Realising what had happened, Throop grabbed the wheel and steered the bus to the side of the road where it collided with metal railings at a pedestrian crossing, The Telegraph reported.
Leicestershire Police confirmed a driver had been "taken ill at the wheel" and that Throop had gained control of the bus.
A police spokeswoman said: "Mr Throop`s brave actions prevented the bus from causing further damage and serious injury to members of the public."
"I got up to go to the front of the bus and that`s when I noticed the driver was not himself. He looked like he`d blacked out or had a fit.
"I kept asking him if he was alright. I grabbed the wheel and tried to steer it. I panicked as I couldn`t find the brake and I saw cars coming down the road and cars parked on the side of the road. We could easily have hit somebody."
Mr Throop, who has not driven for 12 years since his last car was stolen, said: "It was very scary. Like a scene out of a James Bond film is how it`s been described."
He said he was a bit shaken after the incident but had not suffered any injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read