67-year-old pensioner steers bus to safety!
London: A 67-year-old pensioner who did not drive for last 12 years found himself caught in a scene similar to James Bond films where he grabbed the wheel of a bus and steered it to safety after the driver passed out.
Alfred Throop was travelling on a bus in Northfields, Leicester, on Thursday when he realised that the bus had begun to swerve after the driver fell unconscious.
Realising what had happened, Throop grabbed the wheel and steered the bus to the side of the road where it collided with metal railings at a pedestrian crossing, The Telegraph reported.
Leicestershire Police confirmed a driver had been "taken ill at the wheel" and that Throop had gained control of the bus.
A police spokeswoman said: "Mr Throop`s brave actions prevented the bus from causing further damage and serious injury to members of the public."
"I got up to go to the front of the bus and that`s when I noticed the driver was not himself. He looked like he`d blacked out or had a fit.
"I kept asking him if he was alright. I grabbed the wheel and tried to steer it. I panicked as I couldn`t find the brake and I saw cars coming down the road and cars parked on the side of the road. We could easily have hit somebody."
Mr Throop, who has not driven for 12 years since his last car was stolen, said: "It was very scary. Like a scene out of a James Bond film is how it`s been described."
He said he was a bit shaken after the incident but had not suffered any injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city