7 Egyptian Christians sentenced to death over anti-Islam film
Cairo: Seven Coptic Christians and a controversial pastor based in the US were on Wednesday sentenced to death in absentia by an Egyptian court for their role in producing an anti-Islam film that triggered violent protests across the Muslim world.
The Cairo Criminal Court handed down the death penalty to the seven Egyptian Christians, including the film`s maker.
The American pastor, Terry Jones, who heads a small congregation in Florida, was also sentenced to death.
They were sentenced for their role in producing the blasphemous movie, which led to widespread violent protests after being released on the Internet in September.
The eight convicts, who reside in the US, were declared fugitives by the court.
They were tried over charges like insulting Islam and negatively affecting national unity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev