7 Egyptian Christians sentenced to death over anti-Islam film
Cairo: Seven Coptic Christians and a controversial pastor based in the US were on Wednesday sentenced to death in absentia by an Egyptian court for their role in producing an anti-Islam film that triggered violent protests across the Muslim world.
The Cairo Criminal Court handed down the death penalty to the seven Egyptian Christians, including the film`s maker.
The American pastor, Terry Jones, who heads a small congregation in Florida, was also sentenced to death.
They were sentenced for their role in producing the blasphemous movie, which led to widespread violent protests after being released on the Internet in September.
The eight convicts, who reside in the US, were declared fugitives by the court.
They were tried over charges like insulting Islam and negatively affecting national unity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city