7 French kidnapped in Cameroon, including 4 kids
Paris: A group of seven French citizens, including four children, have been kidnapped in Cameroon, an official close to the French president said on Tuesday.
The official requested anonymity because of presidential policy. Another French official close to the embassy in Cameroon said the group was believed to have been taken from northern Cameroon to Nigeria, where yesterday a little-known Islamic extremist group claimed responsibility for a separate abduction of seven foreigners.
The French official said the latest kidnapping involved four children and three adults. It was not immediately clear if the two attacks were related.
The French military is conducting operations with the Malian army to defeat Islamic fighters who took over that country`s north in the weeks after a military coup there last year. The latest kidnappings have added to fears of instability and danger toward Westerners.
Before today, there were at least eight French citizens being held in the region, including at least one who was taken in Nigeria.
An analysis published yesterday by Stratfor, a US-based private global intelligence firm, suggested the group that claimed responsibility for the Nigeria kidnapping, Ansaru, had stronger ties with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the Africa branch of the terror network.
It warned that there likely will be more attacks by Ansaru targeting Westerners and Western interests in Nigeria, as well as neighbouring nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America