7 French kidnapped in Cameroon, including 4 kids
Paris: A group of seven French citizens, including four children, have been kidnapped in Cameroon, an official close to the French president said on Tuesday.
The official requested anonymity because of presidential policy. Another French official close to the embassy in Cameroon said the group was believed to have been taken from northern Cameroon to Nigeria, where yesterday a little-known Islamic extremist group claimed responsibility for a separate abduction of seven foreigners.
The French official said the latest kidnapping involved four children and three adults. It was not immediately clear if the two attacks were related.
The French military is conducting operations with the Malian army to defeat Islamic fighters who took over that country`s north in the weeks after a military coup there last year. The latest kidnappings have added to fears of instability and danger toward Westerners.
Before today, there were at least eight French citizens being held in the region, including at least one who was taken in Nigeria.
An analysis published yesterday by Stratfor, a US-based private global intelligence firm, suggested the group that claimed responsibility for the Nigeria kidnapping, Ansaru, had stronger ties with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the Africa branch of the terror network.
It warned that there likely will be more attacks by Ansaru targeting Westerners and Western interests in Nigeria, as well as neighbouring nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!