7 killed, 2 injured in US truck-van collision
Washington: Seven people were killed and two others injured when a tractor-trailer truck collided head-on with a minivan in the US on Monday.
Seven people travelling in the minivan were killed on the spot while the two people in the truck -- the driver and his wife -- were injured in the crash near Phoenix in Arizona, said a spokesperson with the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
The injured were sent by helicopter to a hospital in Phoenix.
The spouse has a broken back, and she and her husband are both in serious condition, CNN quoted the spokesman as saying.
The truck had been heading west on Interstate 10, the fourth-longest highway in the US, when it went across the highway and struck the van driving east.
Both vehicles went off the right side of the highway after the collision and caught on fire, the spokesperson added.
Autopsies are scheduled for Wednesday for the seven victims, believed to be family members. Seven killed, two injured in US truck-van collision
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez