7 killed in China mine blast, 4 rescued from another colliery
Beijing: At least seven miners were killed in a gas blast in a coal mine on Sunday while rescuers pulled out four others from another colliery in central China, state media reported.
Seven miners were killed in a blast that occurred at the Xiangzhong Coal Mine in Lianyuan city at Hunan province, the official Xinhua news agency reported quoting the local government. However, 39 people managed to escape.
Meanwhile, rescue workers pulled to safety four of 16 miners trapped underground for more than three days in a flooded colliery pit in the same province.
Medical personnel had gone into the pit carrying stretchers and first-aid materials, said the rescuers.
Sixteen miners were trapped in the pit of Qielichong colliery in Sandu township, Leiyang city, following a mine flood on Wednesday. Of the 40 people working in the pit, 24 managed to escape.
But the accident was not reported to the local government until Thursday morning, which delayed the start of the rescue operation by almost 12 hours, according to local officials.
The mine owner, Liu Yaping, is under police custody, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured