70 pc Americans oppose US decision to arm Syrian rebels: Poll
Washington: A majority of Americans oppose Obama administration`s decision to arm anti-government groups in Syria, a new poll has found.
According to the Pew Research Center Poll, 70 percent of Americans don`t want the United States and allies to send arms and military supplies to those Syrian rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
The poll found that the move by the United States was however supported by 20 percent of Americans.
According to Politico, nearly 60 percent of those surveyed said the opposition forces may be no better than the current government.
Still, 53 percent said it is important for the US to support people who oppose authoritarian regimes as compared to 36 percent who oppose it.
Separately, a Gallup Poll found that 54 percent of Americans don`t support the administration`s plan to aid the Syrian opposition, as compared to 37 percent who do.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees to get higher pay scales than recommended earlier
- AgustaWestland case: Former Air Chief SP Tyagi appears before CBI for questioning
- Beat the summer heat with these five cooling foods!
- Huge jams in Delhi, Noida as diesel taxi drivers protest against SC order
- Here’s how Hrithik Roshan responded when ‘characterless Kangana’ trended on Twitter