73 people arrested for recent Ivory Coast attacks
Abidjan (Ivory Coast): Ivory Coast`s military prosecutor says that 73 people, including 19 soldiers, have been detained in connection with a recent spate of attacks on military positions in the West African nation.
Gunmen have carried out seven attacks against the military so far this month, killing at least 12 soldiers and one civilian. Officials blamed the attacks on loyalists of ex-President Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to leave office after losing the 2010 election dragged the country into near-civil war.
Prosecutor Ange B. Kessi Kouame said today that 149 people had been detained in response to the attacks, though 76 were released after the investigation. He said the 19 soldiers faced charges including murder, violating state security and disturbing public order, and that their trial would start on September 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off