Abidjan (Ivory Coast): Ivory Coast`s military prosecutor says that 73 people, including 19 soldiers, have been detained in connection with a recent spate of attacks on military positions in the West African nation.
Gunmen have carried out seven attacks against the military so far this month, killing at least 12 soldiers and one civilian. Officials blamed the attacks on loyalists of ex-President Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to leave office after losing the 2010 election dragged the country into near-civil war.
Prosecutor Ange B. Kessi Kouame said today that 149 people had been detained in response to the attacks, though 76 were released after the investigation. He said the 19 soldiers faced charges including murder, violating state security and disturbing public order, and that their trial would start on September 6.