73-year-old Japanese becomes oldest woman to scale Everest
Kathmandu: A 73-year-old Japanese has made history by becoming the oldest woman to scale the world`s highest mountain, Mount Everest, topping a record, she herself set a decade ago.
Tamae Watanabe, set foot on top of the world today, reaching the Everest`s summit at 8,848 metre, from the tough northern side in Tibet along with another Japanese Norriyuki Muraguchi and three Sherpa guides , according to the Asian Trekking which organised the expedition.
Three other Sherpa guides who scaled the peak are Mingma Sherpa, Pharu Nunu Sherpa and Phurba Sherpa.
The official said that the team had set out for the summit yesterday evening and successfully scaled the summit at 7 am, local time, today, after a night long ascent.
Watanabe became the oldest woman to scale Everest when she climbed the peak in 2002 at the age of 63. Her record stood till she bettered it.
The oldest male climber to scale Everest is a Nepalese Min Bahadur, who reached the top at the age of 77. He had climbed the Everest in 2007.
Like Watanabe, Min Bahadur too has announced his intentions to make it atop Everest again in 2012 at the age of 82.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert