73-year-old Japanese becomes oldest woman to scale Everest
Kathmandu: A 73-year-old Japanese has made history by becoming the oldest woman to scale the world`s highest mountain, Mount Everest, topping a record, she herself set a decade ago.
Tamae Watanabe, set foot on top of the world today, reaching the Everest`s summit at 8,848 metre, from the tough northern side in Tibet along with another Japanese Norriyuki Muraguchi and three Sherpa guides , according to the Asian Trekking which organised the expedition.
Three other Sherpa guides who scaled the peak are Mingma Sherpa, Pharu Nunu Sherpa and Phurba Sherpa.
The official said that the team had set out for the summit yesterday evening and successfully scaled the summit at 7 am, local time, today, after a night long ascent.
Watanabe became the oldest woman to scale Everest when she climbed the peak in 2002 at the age of 63. Her record stood till she bettered it.
The oldest male climber to scale Everest is a Nepalese Min Bahadur, who reached the top at the age of 77. He had climbed the Everest in 2007.
Like Watanabe, Min Bahadur too has announced his intentions to make it atop Everest again in 2012 at the age of 82.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why